Legal protection guarantees come in two broad forms
- Self-cover: the advisor guarantees their time and advice
- Insurance-cover: An insurance policy covers your costs
By self-cover we mean that the advisor guarantees the protection themselves; covers their own time and costs; does not involve third parties. Think of this as going to a lawyer who guarantees their work no matter what, and if they mess up they would pay to correct the problem.
By insurance-cover we mean that you or your advisor takes out an insurance policy with an insurer that covers your claim.
This can take several forms:-
- The advisor provides the service with an insurance backing - They are insured
- You go direct to the policy/insurance provider- You are insured
- You are redirected by the advisor to another advisor/layer who acts under that insurance policy - They are insured